The Red Wheelbarrow

The Red Wheelbarrow

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It Just Is (The "is" is Italicized)

A friend once asked me why I walked as I did. You know, "bobbing up-and-down, up-and-down..." (Vonnegut Pg. 65). It is the way in which I was made to go on my way. We are all preset to a life of unexpectedness and change. There's just nothing to do about that. That's the way which we're all predestined to follow. So as I stared into my friend's eyes, and he stared into mine, I knew that I had to explain to him the patience that having "ups and downs, ups and downs" (Vonnegut Pg. 87) in my life required. Some people often lost patience with my ups and downs because they are reminded of theirs.

Then I confess, "I have gotten eerily accustomed to my "ups and downs, ups and downs" (Vonnegut Pg. 87) for they are easier to bear that way, expecting them and all. Also, it entertains me wherever I go, so that no trip is without its excitement. Life is better that way."

So as I'm trying to explain to my friend how to cope with the "ups and downs, ups and downs" (Vonnegut Pg. 87) in one's life, he interrupts and demands a status check on our relationship, as if I knew. He then says: "We are close friends, very close. We know each other better than anyone". You must remember this is the "... ultimate form of aggression" (Freudian Terminology)! I then proceed to fog up the mirror with my breath and draw a smiley face with my finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment